Monday, July 22, 2013

Peddle and Paddle ride review! (Or how to bike to every pool in my town)

Last weekend I got to do a ride/race/fundraiser for the Ken Ulman foundation in Columbia, MD called the "Peddle and Paddle". Why is this ride so awesome? The point of the ride is to bike to all 23 pools part of the Columbia homeowners association.

It is a totally awesome idea. (How awesome? I was talking to the head of TriColumbia at a packet pickup and she went nuts when I told her I did the P&P. She then grabbed another employee and made me describe the event to the other employee)

The end result was a 46.7 miles bike/1150 meter swim - garmin bike data

The best part of the ride for me was that it was a fundraiser for the Ulman Fund which helps young adults with cancer.

The ride itself was a great atmosphere, which I mostly attribute to the Ulman Foundation insistence that the P&P is a ride, not a race. This resulted in groups forming to go from pool to pool. I ended up with a group of 7 other women who had done the ride before and knew the route. The downside? We didn't have the right of way on roads which, fortunately, was only an issue a few times.

So all in all, a great ride, a great swim and lots of sun and good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment